Popular Posts

Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Ancient Paths

Thus says the Lord:
"Stand by the roads and look,
and ask for the ancient paths,
where the good way is; and walk in it,
and find rest for your souls.
But they said, "we will not walk in it,"
I set a watchman over you saying,
Pay attention to the sound of the trumpet!
But they said, "We will not pay attention."
Jeremiah 6:16-17

Anytime I find the word 'rest' in scripture, my soul goes on high alert.   I have really become a very weary person: weary of striving, weary of getting it wrong, and weary of displeasing man.    I have worn myself out trying to find peace, even though I had salvation.  So what is this 'ancient path'?  What is this trumpet that I don't pay any attention to?  Have I said, "I will not pay attention."   If so, why?  Why won't I pay attention?

In Matthew 11:29, Jesus says: "Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls. (The Amplified Bible)   Jesus Himself is the Ancient Path.  I must choose all roads that lead to Him.  I can't get to the Father through any road but Him.  Satisfying the law on my own or satisfying the judgments of other people will not bring me to Him.  Refreshment and recreation lie in trusting Him with my transformation and with my relationships.  I don't choose this Path when it seems easier, when it seems safer to cut my own path.  When I don't pay attention to His alarm, His trumpet, it's because my own fear and pride have captured all my attention.  Lord how many times do I have to be worried and chased by enemies before I listen?  Today I chose the ancient, eternal path: You.

Father teach me the paths that lead to you: prayer, meditation, study of your word, simplicity, service, worship and love.  Forgive me when I chosen religious perfectionism (the yeast of the Pharisees) and petty addictions instead of You.   Give me the faith I need to trust the Ancient Path, Jesus.   Come deep into the center of my brokenness and comfort me in my loneliness.   I long for the 'soul rest' you promise.  I long for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment